8.20.2016

Determination

Success is something that we all strive for. We all want to succeed in all our endeavors, to achieve all our hopes and dreams. 

But, what do we need to achieve success? Talent? Charisma? Determination? 

It's the last one. You can be as intelligent as Stephen Hawking and have loads of talent, but without determination you won't get anywhere. 


de·ter·mi·na·tion

dəˌtərməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1. 
    firmness of purpose; resoluteness.
    "he advanced with an unflinching determination"
    synonyms:resolutionresolve, willpower, strength of character, single-mindedness, purposefulness, intentness; 

You can have immense athletic talent, and still not make the basketball team. You can be really good at science, but still fail the subject in school. 

But, with determination, you can excel at almost anything whether you have talent or not. For example, I'm horrible at memorizing facts, especially relating to history in social studies. But, with determination and hard work, I regardless of my talent at the subject, I was still able to get high grades. 

I believe that talent has some part in success, but only when paired with determination. Alone, talent doesn't serve any meaningful purpose. 

My teacher two years ago (my favorite teacher) while discussing a similar matter with a student in the middle of a lesson gave some good advice about determination. The situation involved the student's performance in language arts. When confronted about his poor performance, the student made a comment saying that his performance was due to his lack of natural talent in the subject. He added that some people would never be able to excel in certain subjects because they lacked the necessary skills. My teacher responded to this by agreeing that some people just didn't have talents in some subjects. "But," he said, "that doesn't mean that you can just give up." He went on, saying that if you don't have talent in a subject, you just need to struggle through it, work harder, and stay determined. You can't just accept that you'll never be good or successful at that particular subject. While this advice may seem obvious, I think it's important to remember. To not be discouraged when you struggle at something, to instead work harder. This advice was meaningful coming from my teacher, as when my teacher was a student he struggled with school subjects and had to repeat a grade. But, even though he struggled, he stayed determined and eventually became a great teacher. 

And, the advice my teacher gave to the student is a philosophy that I've been following for most of my life, and that I think everyone else should follow. If you are talented at something (for example math), then that's great. You'll still have to have a lot of determination but whatever you're talented at should come relatively easy for you. If you struggle at something (for example public speaking), then, to put it frankly, you suck it up, work harder, and stay determined to succeed. 

Of course, it's okay if you don't succeed at something, as long as you really did try and work hard instead of giving up. There are some things that we may not be able to achieve, for example, a super short person becoming a famous basketball player, because of physical limitations, or maybe not being in the top 10% in school. 

Even with determination there are some things you may not succeed at. But without it, you won't succeed at or achieve anything. 


9 comments:

  1. This is a very very true post. I remember there used to be these posters in my primary school that said "Success is 1% talent and 99% hard work."

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw those exact same posters in my elementary school, as well!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Determination is such a reoccurring theme-- it's also something that we, as writers, face. It is super rare to have a novel that can be written and be accepted by an agent within one year, if such a thing exists, and the writing industry can be brutal. But that's the spirit, to keep going. Thank you for this, Jollygirl. :)

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-)
      Yes, it seems to me that artists (musicians, dancers, writers, painters) have to have a lot of determination. But like you said, it's important to keep on going.

      Delete
  3. Determination is very important. Thank you so much for this reminder, Jollygirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! I loved this post Jollygirl!

    - Edie
    mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I usually get stuck because I have the determination, but not the talent. Or the charisma and audacity to show off what I wrote on my blog or vlogged on YouTube. But your teacher's advice is some great advice. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm struggling :)

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!