8.27.2016

3 Great Middle-Grade Reads

Hey, everyone!
Middle grade books kind of bridge the gap between the children's section and the young adult section in the library. While middle grade books are meant for younger ages, I think that there are a lot of middle grade books out there that anyone at any age could enjoy, just like YA books. Anyway, I wanted to share some middle grade books that I think anyone could enjoy.


1. Wonder by R.J Palacio

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances? - Goodreads summary 

This is probably my all time favorite middle grade book and I've read it countless times.This book has a sort of nostalgic feel when I read it, mostly because it reminds me of my elementary school, particularly fifth grade as I read this book so many times around that time, and because the 2 day field trip that Auggie and his friends went on reminded me of a field trip I went on in fifth grade. Auggie and the other characters are all likable and they all develop so much through the book. I loved seeing friendships and relationships progress and change through the book, not just with Auggie, but with his older sister Via as well. Wonder is actually told from several different perspectives that intertwine together, which is great, as we get to see what the people around Auggie think of him. The book is full of strong friendships and positive messages, and is overall, very up-lifting.  I really do think anyone could get enjoyment out of this, in fact, my grandmother read this and really enjoyed it. 






2. The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1) by Jennifer A. Nielson

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king’s long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner’s motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword’s point—he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage’s rivals have their own agendas as well.As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner’s sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together. - Goodreads summary

This book is the first book of a trilogy (all three books are already published) and even though it's a middle grade book, it reads like YA. It's told in first person point of view, from the main character, Sage (who is super smart), and reading from his point of view is really fun as he is a smart, snarky, and sarcastic character. All the secondary characters are really interesting as well, I was really interested in Tobias, Amarinda, Roden, and Imogen's stories throughout the series. There's also a huge plot twist at the end of this book, I actually kind of predicted it when I was reading it, but I think that most people will be surprised by it.  I think if you're a fan of books that involve kingdoms, princes, pirates, war, etc. you'll enjoy this book. 



3. Goodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead

Bridge is an accident survivor who's wondering why she's still alive. Emily has new curves and an almost-boyfriend who wants a certain kind of picture. Tabitha sees through everybody's games—or so she tells the world. The three girls are best friends with one rule: No fighting. Can it get them through seventh grade? 
This year everything is different for Sherm Russo as he gets to know Bridge Barsamian. What does it mean to fall for a girl—as a friend? 
On Valentine's Day, an unnamed high school girl struggles with a betrayal. How long can she hide in plain sight? - Goodreads summary 

This book is written by the popular author Rebecca Stead,  and you've probably read her other book, When You Reach Me. This is her more recently published book. It's about friendship, and how friendship is tested by different challenges. Rebecca Stead is a great writer, and within the first few pages you'll already find a meaningful and thought provoking story. This book has a lot about change, particularly about change in a person. My favorite part of this book was the friendship between all the three girls, and how they had each other's back, and Sherm's friendship with Bridge. 




So, I hope that if you haven't read any of these, that you'll try them out. All three of these books are great, and books that I think people of any age can appreciate and enjoy. 

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I loved Wonder too and I think I'm overdue for a reread. Goodbye Stranger on my tbr, it sounds really good!

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to re-read Wonder for a while now. You should definitely read Goodbye Stranger.

      Delete
  2. I love Wonder so much (I currently have it checked out from the library), and pretty much anything by Rebecca Stead is good! I should probably get around to reading The False Prince-- sound like something that I wouldn't mind reading. ^.^

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thought you ought to know I nominated you for the Wisteria Writer's Tag, which you can check out here! ^.^

      xoxo Morning

      Delete
    2. Just realized the link doesn't work-- it's my most recent post. >.<

      Delete
    3. Wonder is great:-)
      You should definitely try out The False Prince, it's a great book
      Thanks for tagging me

      Delete
  3. I've only read Wonder from your list so far (adored it, of course), but I do want to read both the others after reading your recommendations. So, thanks for making my tbr list even longer. :) I've been really afraid of reading MG novels lately after a huge disappointment that made me turn away from MG novels for awhile. I'll really need to get back on the middle grade train soon. :)
    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder. ahh. I loveeeeddd Wonder so much (and my review of it was actually my first ever blog post!). I haven't heard of the other two but I am familiar with Rebecca Stead so will check Goodbye Stranger out! :)

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodbye Stranger is now in a blog post I just did, thank to you :)

      - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

      Delete
  5. I absolutely LOVE Wonder! I read it last year. And again. And again. And again. Loads of times! Great post! these books look really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!