7.13.2016

No Spoiler Series Review: The Infernal Devices

Hi, so..pretty recently I read The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. They're a pretty cool series, so I decided to review them, as I have not published a book review on this blog for a long time..

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

Source

*****
Background Information
Okay, so you can obviously see that The Infernal Devices (TID) are a trilogy made of three books: Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess. Before reading this series, read books one through three of The Mortal Instruments Series (TMI ), and then alternate books four through six of The Mortal Instruments with The Infernal Devices in order of publication. I know that's a weird order to read them in, I didn't even read them in that order, but you'll understand the books the best in that order. After reading both TMI and TID, you can read The Bane Chronicles, Shadowhunter Academy, and then the ever amazing Lady Midnight! For more about the order in which you should read Cassandra Clare's books, click here.  All of Cassandra's books are about Shadowhunters, but about different characters, different places, and different time frames. 

What's it about?
Well, the summary of Clockwork Angel, the first book in The Infernal Devices, from goodreads, is as follows:

In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...
To read the summary of Clockwork Prince click here.
To read the summary of Clockwork Princess click here. 

Plot
The plot of the book is really interesting, especially seeing how it plays out in 1878. I actually think that reading a fantasy book that takes place during that time frame is a really refreshing experience as most fantasy books either take place in present time, or the medieval age. And, the author made the time frame work. The characters actually act and speak in a way that it is believable that they live in 1878. The plot itself is very engaging and definitely a page turner. The plot was orchestrated with just enough twists to surprise you but remains believable at the same time. One of the things that I especially love about the plot, and just the writing in general is that the scenes in the books are often funny while also remaining dramatic (shoutout to the worm scene in Clockwork Princess with Gabriel Lightwood.)

Characters
I think more than the plot, the characters really shine in this book, specifically the relationships between the characters. The relationship between Tessa, Will, and Jem really warmed my heart and I don't think I've read another book where three characters cared for and loved each other as much as Tessa, Will, and Jem did. Their relationships were sometimes a sticky, goopy mess, but through it all, it was evident that they loved each other.

As for the main character, Tessa Gray, she is amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of Clary Fairchild in the first few books of The Mortal Instruments, even though I did eventually warm up to her. But for Tessa (and even Emma and Julian from Lady Midnight), I was able to immediately connect with her character. While Clary is impulsive and courageous, and Emma is sassy and a fighter, Tessa is a clever, kind girl who loves reading. I also appreciate how much Tessa develops throughout the series. In the first book, she has preconceived notions that women cannot fight, that they cannot be too forward, etc. These beliefs were obviously because of the time frame that the books took place in, where the belief that women were "the weaker sex" was something generally accepted by everyone. But, over the course of the three books, Tessa moves beyond these beliefs. There were a lot of strong female characters other than Tessa, as well, such as Sophie Collins and Charlotte Fairchild, which I appreciated. Tessa, Charlotte, and Sophie defy many stereotypes about women that were present in the 1800s.

James Carstairs (Jem) and William Herondale (Will) are another two very important characters in the series. They both have their own unique personalities, Will being more teasing, and in the first two books, sometimes even rude, while Jem is more attentive and kind. I really respect their brotherly relationship, though, and I'm glad that we got to see a relationship like that in the book. I'm not sure if I've ever seen two closer friends in any other book that I've read and they set a great example for a true and strong friendship. These two characters develop a lot throughout the books as well, especially Will.

The secondary characters really stand out as well. They each have their own distinct personalities and their own positive attributes. Charlotte Fairchild, Henry Branwell, Sophie Collins, Gideon Lightwood, Gabriel Lightwood, Jessamine Lovelace, Magnus Bane, and Cecily Herondale were all extremely well developed characters and all of them did something significant to move the plot along.  

Ending
A lot of people aren't a huge fan of the ending of Clockwork Princess, and even though I was very satisfied with the ending, I understand why some people would be sad, or even disappointed. I thought the ending summed things up nicely and it gave a satisfying conclusion to the characters in the story (except..wait!!..you'll be seeing some of these characters in The Dark Artifices and The Last Hours!) But, I'm warning you, the ending is pretty controversial, not everyone was happy with it, and part of that was probably because of the romantic element of the book. Also, most people find the ending extremely sad, but some people (like me) actually find it to be a happy ending. Whether you like it or not, I really do think that the ending does justice to the rest of the story.


So, I hope you got something out of that review, and if you haven't read this series I hope you consider reading it.

Also if you've read the series, do you have any preference over Jem and Will? Do you have a favorite secondary character? What do you think of Tessa?




11 comments:

  1. SHADOWHUNTERS! SHADOWHUNTERS! SHADOWHUNTERS! TMI, TID AND TDA ARE MY LIFE AND THE MINI BOOKS! Great review, I'm so happy someone else reads Cassie's books! Have you read Lady Midnight yet? It's about Emma Carstairs and the blackthorn family. I cried at the ending for clockwork princess because I was all about Jessa but Herondales are just... How do you not love a Herondale? I also love the all lightwoods(in TID and TMI)but Gabriel and Alec for the win! (TBH). Tessa is a bit meh but she persuaded magnus to help Clary and Jocelyn and is part of jace's genetics. Clary, Izzy and emma are still the best though.

    - Edie
    mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops you have read LM. I was reading this on my phone so bits get cut off. Sorry!

      - Edie

      Delete
    2. Yes, how can you not love a Herondale (except for Stephen Herondale)? I'm a big fan of Alec and Gabriel as well, especially the bickering and banter between Gabriel and Will (particularly the "father is a worm" scene in Clockwork Princess.) I actually really do like Tessa, but a lot of people do think she's pretty average.

      Delete
  2. OH I LOVED CHARLOTTE. I think she was actually the most amazing character there. XD And I actually prefer Jem, for some reason. I mean, I think Will was pretty cool, but the Big Reveal behind why he was so mean to everyone...I don't know! It felt a bit flat to me?! heh. But I mean, I'm glad he went through so much character development. And I'm glad Tessa did too and got over that idea of women being the weaker sex. But basically I am just Team Charlotte Rule the World because she was flawless.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Charlotte is beyond amazing!! She totally deserved to run the London Institute! I also prefer Jem, I'm a bigger fan of his personality I guess, even though I loved Will as well.

      Delete
  3. This is a great review, I loved how you didn't include any spoilers but still made it sound interesting. I will have to check this series out.
    Paige xo // The Joys of Being Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy the books!

      Delete
  4. I really want to read this series! I'm a HUGE Cassandra Clare fan, and I agree with you on the whole 'not warming to Clary' front. But eventually I did too. Did you know that her name was meant to be Clary Frayne, but the editors convinced Cassie to change it to Fray? (Frayne was because she had a friend with that surname)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in the first few books I wasn't a huge fan of Clary, but now I do really like her.
      That's interesting, I didn't know her name was meant to be Clary Frayne.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this series, nor have I read any books by Cassandra Clare so I must give this a try. It doesn't sound like the type of book I would normally read but you have made it sound really interesting so I must step out of my comfort zone and check this out.

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy it, it's a great series!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!