9.07.2015

Barbie is Physically Impossible

Barbie. We've all seen her in the stores. We've probably all played with her, unless of course you were too busy battling dragons clothed in fake armor, and yes, I did do that when I was a kid. And, we've definitely seen others playing with her.

I've seen several small girls say that they would love to look like her, but really, the way Barbie looks, is really just impossible. Her neck is twice as long as average necks, but half as skinny. And in reality, her neck wouldn't be able to support her head.

If Barbie was a real life woman, she would be crawling on fours, as her feet are too small to support the rest of her body, being only a size three. Her arms are much smaller than her legs, and are very thin. The circumference around her wrists are very small, too small to pick anything heavy up.

The hip/waist/bust ratio in Barbie is ridiculous. Barbie's waist is 16 inches in circumference, a little over half the size of her hips, and less then half the size of an average woman's waist. The size of Barbie's waist would only be able to fit half a liver, and a few inches of intestines. Barbie's hips are smaller, than the average woman's, as well as her bust.



I hope you found this post interesting. I'm sorry that I haven't been posting much lately. I've been really busy with school, and I'm trying to figure out a post schedule. Anyway, I'll be trying to post at least once a week, sometime during the weekend, probably.

Also look out for a guest post from Edie, on Thursday.

Bonne journée, <<< I'm learning French so I thought that this would be appropriate
Jollygirl

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Yes, Barbie is ridiculous and it's horrible to see young girls idolize her... And the dolls aren't available in many races. xx

    Shine on,
    GirlRadio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, it would be better if the dolls were available in more races.

      Delete
  3. Whoa, so true! I had posted last week about gender equality and the unexpected views of society, and a lot of first contact with body image/confidence comes from the media-- books, movies, TV, music-- and even toys. If they would change Barbie more to be more proportioned, then I would be okay with it. A very thought provoking post, Jollygirl! :)

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw that post of yours, and I really enjoyed it! I'm glad you liked this post! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. This post made me laugh! I like how you scientifically broke down Barbie into numbers and explained how she is unrealistic.
    I personally liked playing with Barbie dolls because it gave me the excuse to take my moms seeing things and try to make clothes for her. Otherwise, I never noticed Barbie unrealism- I just liked how her trunk would fit in my small fist ;D but good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad that this made you laugh! Yes, I think that some girls just like playing with Barbie, and they don't really notice her looks, but when a girl wants to look like Barbie, that turns into a problem.

      Delete
  5. I never thought of Barbie's looks when I was little, I was busy playing with my Strawberry Shortcake dolls XD. But yes, I just love how blunt you are in this post. It is impossible to be Barbie, or any other photo shopped model either. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't think about her looks at all either, but I'm seeing lots of little girls thinking about it, nowadays. And yes, Strawberry Shortcake was pretty awesome.

      Delete
  6. interesting! i've heard about this before, and always knew barbie was setting unrealistic expectations for women, but thank you for reminding me again that society is constantly bombarding us with messages like this. lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  7. French is such an interesting language - I've picked it up myself, this year, and I love it! <3

    Emily // Lynde Avenue Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm having fun learning it, as well.

      Delete
  8. Wow. I love this post! So interesting, and so SO true! I was never really a doll person, but I still had a lot of Barbies!

    Overall, AMAZING!

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!