3.22.2015

Myths about India and Indians: I'm Going to Break Them

 Hello! I am an Indian girl, living in The United States of America! I feel like there are all kinds of misconceptions  about Indians, and I would like to clear that up...anyway..lets get on with the post!

Myth 1: Indians Roam Around Naked
I don't even know who got this idea, but it is not true at all. Indians travel fully clothed, and the dresses and saris there, are in fact quite beautiful! 
Image result for sari dress
source
Flashback into Jollygirl's Childhood (Which Jollygirl is still in so technically her younger childhood):
"You know, I'm kind of surprised," the brown haired innocent girl said. 
"Why?" asked I. 
"Well, aren't Indians supposed to be..naked? This is the first time I've come to your house and I didn't think that you would have clothes on."
"No! No! No! Where did you get an idea like that!" 
She shrugged her shoulders and we continued playing. 


Myth 2: Indian Parents Care a Lot About Their Children's Grades, and Make Them Study a Lot
No, this isn't true. Because, my parents don't care about my grades so much that they will yell at me if I get bad ones. I do study a lot and get good grades, but that is by my will. However, my parents will help me if I ask, or if I get a bad grade on something. 


Myth 3: We Speak Indian
No! No! No! No! There is no such language in this whole entire world called Indian! 
Look it up if you don't believe me. 

Myth 4: There are Diseases Everywhere
That is not true, at all. In crowded places, it is possible to get sick, naturally, but it's just you who should be taking the liberty to be careful. The doctors are very experienced, anyway. 


Myth 5: India is Full of Hinduisms 
India welcomes any type of people who belong to any religion. 


Myth 6: India Revolves around Curry
Well, we do like are curry, but there are plenty of others delicious foods too, such as samosa, naan, dosa, dahl, etc..
Image result for Indian food
source

Myth 7: We Have Elephants and Tigers as Pets
Nope! Tigers live in the wild, and so do Elephants. If you visit India, it's pretty unlikely that you'll even see one. 


Myth 8: The Whole Cricket Thing
I didn't know much about cricket either, until this family gathering, where this boy did not respect my rights that the Bill of Rights gave me, and forced me to play cricket, though I did not want to. It's actually pretty fun, and it's pretty similar to Baseball. Basically, there are two runners, and one of them bats. They try to run to a certain mark, before the people on the field throw the ball that was batted to the wicket. It is not necessary that they run, but they can if it is possible to before the ball is caught and thrown, There are such things as outs, and these happen when the field catches the ball before it bounces, throwing the ball at the wicket before the runner makes it, etc. There are also things called fours and sixes which basically depends on how far or good the batsman bats. 


Myth 9: The Government
We do have a good system of government! In fact, it is very similar to Canada's, being a parliamentary democracy, having a prime minister, and being in the commonwealth of nations. 




I hope that you learned something from this, or that I broke a myth that you thought was true!
Toodles!!

-Jollygirl





10 comments:

  1. Those naked Indian people that girl mixed country India with tribe India I think and they also aren't naked anymore she's way behind her time :P
    Being from India I find this post amusing and some point did make me laugh :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I'm glad you enjoyed this!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you were indian. I'm from Pakistan.
    I don't know if you can call this a myth but after seeing a couple of news articles, India terrifies me when it comes to women's standings in public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about that...but as far as I've seen, it isn't true. I feel that all countries have their problems.

      Delete
  3. First off, I just want to say, spectacular job of your web diary! I haven't been able to get online properly until yesterday thus the reason why I haven't seen it until now. There isn't a huge Indian population where I live, but nearly five years ago I had a friend named Arueshi who was Indian (she moved away, though). All of these stereotypes are just insane! No clothes, curry-based foods... Though I do have to admit I love your cultures food. I'm Filipino, but we have all sorts of weird stereotypes too. I guess that's what happens if you haven't exactly immersed yourself in the culture; these stereotypes just start popping up.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool post! And naan is so good, I'd forgotten about that stuff.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaahh, another fellow Indian blogger!! :) This was so true. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like stereotypes at all, and I hadn't heard about a couple of these things until now. It's good of you for clearing some of that up!

    I do admit to DEVOURING Indian food every time I see it. I am obsessed with it, and I know there's a TON of variety. I think it's one of the better myths about India, personally, because I would love for my culture to be known as the curry place. I can see why these might get annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) You should create a Cultural Myths tag! I would definitely do it. I am Indian too and I hear myths about our culture frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is a very interesting post. I don't think I had ever thought about how many myths there were for India/Indians!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!